If you’ve recently been diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnea (OSA), it may be a little overwhelming at first deciding on how to proceed. You might have a lot of questions and things to digest in terms of what this means to your health and what options you have for treatment.
Aveiro Sleep is here to support you in every step of the way. We want you to feel confident and knowledgeable if you want to proceed to PAP (Positive Airway Pressure) therapy. Your clinician is an expert in sleep apnea and is dedicated to answering any questions you may have.
Sleep apnea is a very common condition that affect millions of Canadians. Unlike other medical conditions, sleep apnea can be treated without medication. PAP therapy prevents your throat from closing during sleep and delivers oxygen throughout your body.
We encourage you to talk to your clinician about any questions and concerns you may have. Sometimes it’s the fear of the unknown, so if you want to learn more about PAP therapy, we welcome you to come in for a demonstration. You can look at the equipment and see how it all works.
You’re not alone if you’re still undecided or confused about proceeding to PAP therapy.
Below are some of the most common concerns that are holding patients back:
1) The cost
It’s true that the initial investment in a PAP machine and supplies is a significant upfront cost.
However, consider this:
- What does it cost for glasses, dental work, and medication?
- How much do you spend on a mattress, pillows, and other sleep products to try to achieve a good sleep?
- A PAP machine should be effective for at least 5 years before it should be replaced. If you spend $2,000, spread over 60 months (5 years), that’s only $33 a month for therapy!
- How much do you spend on medications per month?
- Some patients have been successful in reducing the amount of medication they use for other health conditions because PAP therapy improves their overall health.
- Many insurance policies cover a signification portion of the cost of PAP therapy. We help you understand the process and support you in your coverage if applicable.
- At Aveiro Sleep, we are passionate about getting our patients the therapy they need. We offer different packages to accommodate budgets, financing options, and our Compassionate Care Program.
2) It’s uncomfortable and I won’t be able to sleep
- PAP machines and masks have come a long way. Machines are no longer bulky and noisy, and there is a huge selection of masks with intelligent features.
- Your clinician is a trained professional in finding a mask that fits well on your face and provides maximum comfort.
- Nasal masks have a small profile and are easy to get on and off.
- You’ll find that it just becomes part of your bedtime routine.
- There are several products designed to improve your comfort including PAP pillows, strap covers, and cushions.
3) I don’t have time to deal with it right now/It’s not a big deal
Obstructive Sleep Apnea is not a condition that goes away on its own. Take action to improve your health and well-being. Most people who have PAP therapy are amazed by how great they feel and didn’t realize that this is the way it’s supposed to be. Consequences of untreated sleep apnea:
– Daytime fatigue
– Morning headaches
– Memory loss
– Sexual disfunction
– Increased risk of motor vehicle and workplace accidents
– Increased risk of conditions such as heart disease, diabetes, hypertension, depression.
Plus, feeling good from being well rested keeps you more motivated to eating healthier, staying active, and promotes positive relationships.
4) I’m going to try some other treatments first
A quick Google search will come up with a ton of solutions that claim they treat sleep apnea. Be wary of these products as PAP therapy is the only gold standard that has been scientifically proven to treat sleep apnea.
A note on Dental Appliances to treat sleep apnea
– Not effective in treating moderate to severe sleep apnea
– May be uncomfortable and sometimes painful, as it pulls your jaw forward.
– There is a misconception that dental appliances cost less than PAP therapy. Dental appliances to treat sleep apnea are still approximately $1,500 and up.
– If this is route you want to explore, we can refer you to our board-certified dental appliance therapy partners.
5) I’m going to purchase my equipment online
Although it may be appealing in terms of price to shop online for your PAP equipment, please keep the following in mind:
- Aveiro Sleep has a team of trained Registered Respiratory Therapists and Certified Sleep Technologists.
- We’ve been with you from the start and understand your needs and therapy requirements.
- Trained in mask fittings and are knowledgeable in all aspects of the equipment.
- When you buy a PAP machine through us, you receive service for life without any additional costs for appointments and monitoring.
- Your therapy results are monitored so we can assess your therapy effectiveness and touch base with you if there are any adjustment required.
- With over 20 clinics in Alberta, you can visit any of our locations to get support for your equipment.
- We provide peace of mind with your warranty and you’ll never be without a machine if it requires a repair.
If you already know that you want to proceed with PAP therapy, way to go! We’re excited to help you on your sleep journey to better health. Your clinician or our Patient Success Coordinator can help you determine which mask and machine work best for your therapy needs and budget.
Still not sure? No problem. There is no pressure to proceed. Take time to think about it, do some research, or ask questions. Your therapy is more likely to be successful if you’ve mentally committed to it. Your clinician will follow-up at a later date to see if you need more information or would like to discuss how the equipment works.
Aveiro Sleep provides Home Sleep Apnea Testing, CPAP therapy and support services catered to obstructive sleep apnea. Our local clinics allow us to test, treat, and support thousands of Albertans close to their homes.
Call now to speak to a Patient Success Coordinator 1-855-852-2989 or contact us through our online form.